West Vancouver’s parks are a great place for a picnic. You can’t reserve a picnic spot or shelter; it’s first come, first served. This includes the use of barbecue pits and shelters.
Before you pack your picnic, be sure to read the guidelines and check for current swimming and barbecue restrictions as they may change.
Here are the guidelines—please read and follow them so everyone can enjoy a picnic in the park:
- Don't reserve or cordon off access to any location in a park, including shelters. Don’t use tents, canopies, decorations, chairs or signs to reserve space. Let’s share our parks and picnic areas–they are for everyone!
- Please clean up after yourself. Place your garbage in appropriate bins or take it home with you.
- Consumption of alcohol in parks and public areas of West Vancouver is prohibited, except for in Millennium Park from noon until dusk. Read more about the pilot project.
- No open fires. Beaches are included in this prohibition.
- Smoking is prohibited in all West Vancouver parks and beaches. Even in urban areas and designated spaces, be sure to discard of all kinds of cigarettes safely.
- Keep the peace. Sharing the park does not mean everyone should share in your musical taste. No devices with amplified sound such as portable sound systems and microphones are allowed.
- You can bring your tent to shade your picnic, but tents can’t be larger than 10 x 10 feet. No stakes in the ground, please! You risk puncturing irrigation lines.
- Inflatable toys like bouncy castles are not permitted.
Effective July 15, 2021, charcoal barbecues are now prohibited in all public spaces and beaches until further notice.
If you are unsure what restrictions are in place, please check first. Parks will have signs in place when barbecue restrictions are in effect.
John Lawson Park and Whytecliff Park have barbecue pits available for your use when barbecuing is permitted. You can bring coals or propane barbecue. Never leave used or hot coals behind! Dispose of them properly, in the areas provided.
Barbecues are never permitted in Lighthouse Park.
Please check the rules before using pits or bringing your own barbecue to the park as bans may be in place depending on forest fire ratings.