The District has developed a proposed funding strategy to acquire the last two houses on Argyle Avenue for public parkland.
The municipally-owned lands at 2519 and 2539 Rosebery Avenue (also referred to as Brissenden Park), have been identified as an option to sell or long-term lease to fund the purchase of these last two privately-held properties at 1444 and 1448 Argyle Avenue.
The proposed funding strategy also creates an opportunity to recognize the contribution of the Brissendens by naming the area around the two Argyle properties after the Brissendens, and installing a commemorative plaque to explain the Brissendens’ initial and ultimate contribution to the community.
Brissenden Park is zoned for single-family residential use and is and would continue to be governed by the District’s Interim Tree Bylaw, in the same way the bylaw applies to any other residential property in West Vancouver (other than Development Permit areas).
In order to consider whether to proceed with this funding proposal, the District conducted public consultation on the proposed funding strategy, as well as neighbourhood consultation on the potential future use of the municipally-owned lands at 2519 and 2539 Rosebery Avenue.
Brissenden Park is comprised of two lots at 2519 and 2539 Rosebery Avenue, which are immediately south of the Upper Levels Highway. Brissenden Park has not been generally used as a public park. There is a single-family house on the property.
The property and house were donated to the District by Mr. and Mrs. Brissenden in 1990, with the stipulation that the land is used for public park purposes.
Ambleside Waterfront Concept Plan
On June 13, 2016, West Vancouver Council endorsed the Ambleside Waterfront Concept Plan and specifically directed staff to “acquire the remaining two houses on Argyle Avenue." These are the last two of 32 houses on the Argyle waterfront to be acquired for public park use pursuant to the Argyle acquisition policy which started in the mid-1970s.
The intent of the Argyle acquisition policy was reaffirmed by Council in 1988, 2008, 2013 and 2016.
Acquisition of the two privately-held properties at 1444 and 1448 Argyle Avenue would allow the District to increase green and public spaces on the waterfront, and expand the foreshore path.