Single Family Lots

If you are constructing a structure on your property, including retaining walls, stairs, pools and decks, you will need a building permit (generally permits are not required for re-roofing, exterior cladding, window replacement, fences or landscaping).

Please also check the zoning for your particular property and the Zoning Bylaw Guide. Permit requirements vary depending on your lot size and dimensions, presence of creeks, if you are on a slope or if covenant is attached to your property.

Applying for a Variance

An application for a variance may be considered if a development proposal does not meet certain provisions of the Zoning Bylaw.

Secondary Suites

Secondary suites are legal in West Vancouver if they meet the requirements.

Rental Coach Houses

Guidelines for detached secondary suites, or rental coach houses.

Natural Environment and Hazard Development Permit Areas

The District of West Vancouver has adopted three Development Permit Areas (DPAs) and associated guidelines for development, to protect and enhance the natural environment and minimize risk to private property from climate hazards. This includes an Environmental DPA to protect watercourses and their riparian habitat, a Wildfire Hazard DPA to protect new buildings against wildfire and reduce the risk of wildfire spread in the community, and a Foreshore DPA to minimize risk to people and property from coastal hazards, while preserving and enhancing the intertidal habitat of the foreshore.

Learn more about Development Permit Areas

Lower Caulfeild Heritage Alteration Permits

Lower Caulfeild is a designated Heritage Conservation Area. If you own property within these boundaries, you need an alteration permit for any work.

Boulevards & Encroachments

Boulevard care is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. A well-maintained boulevard adds character. However, changes you make to your boulevard cannot negatively impact municipal services, reduce public safety or restrict public access.