To learn more about closures and our response to COVID-19, and for updates on District operations, visit westvancouver.ca/covid.
Cycling is a great way to get around the community. It burns calories, adds muscle, and it leaves zero carbon footprint. It’s important to cycle safely, for you and for everyone you share the roads and trails with.
Before you ride
- get a tune-up every spring before your first ride to ensure that your brakes, tires, drive train and other components are road-ready
- equip your bicycle with a bell
- get reflective clothing and front and rear lights to make you more visible to other road users
- before every ride, check to make sure you inflate your tires, check that your lights are working and that all of your components are road-ready
During your ride
- always wear your helmet, reflective clothing and turn your lights on (night-time and day-time too)
- yield to pedestrians and be extra careful at intersections and school zones
- obey all traffic lights and stop signs
- try to stay on bicycle paths and roads with designated bike lanes
- when riding on multi-use paths, ride slowly and watch for pedestrians, dogs and other path users
- be careful around parked cars and watch for opening doors
- in wet weather, take precautions and allow for extra stopping time
- don’t wear headphones while riding
- stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water or sports drink before, during and after your ride
After your ride
- check your bike to make sure nothing has come loose or requires attention
- stow your bike carefully and ensure none of its components get damaged
Bicycle Rack Design Contest
We’re looking for artists to create original, fun and functional design ideas for new bicycle racks that will be installed in West Vancouver’s business districts.
Submit your creative ideas for a chance to win $1,000. The deadline for submissions is May 15 at 2 p.m.