Green Can, Yard Trimmings & Compost
IMPORTANT COVID-19 UPDATE
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect our waste collection staff:
- ensure that all personal hygiene products, used tissues, cleaning cloths, face masks, gloves, and similar items are disposed of in garbage bags.
- securely tie garbage bags. Un-bagged or loose items will not be collected.
- sort materials correctly. Crews are taking extra precautions and will not be sorting through garbage or recycling at the curb.
Green Can and Yard Trimmings are collected every week. Organics, which includes food scraps and yard trimmings, are banned from being disposed of as garbage and should be placed in your Green Can, yard trimmings container or backyard compost.
Garbage, Green Can or recycling not collected?
- all food scraps, food-soiled paper (napkins, newspaper, parchment paper and used paper towels) and wooden chopsticks and popsicle sticks
- small amounts of yard trimmings
Visit metrovancouver.org/foodscraps to learn more.
- grass clippings, leaves, weeds, brush and branches
- plants and flowers, living or dead/dried
- plant, tree or hedge prunings less than three inches in diameter and no more than three feet long (tied with compostable twine)
- Christmas trees cut to fit into container (no tinsel, decorations or stands)
- Halloween pumpkins, broken into pieces
What stays out
- plastic bags, even those labelled biodegradable or compostable, are not allowed
- pet waste or animal droppings
- rocks, dirt, or sod
- plastic, glass, cans or paper
- prunings larger than 7.5 centimetres in diameter or longer than one metre
- painted or treated wood
- garden hoses, flower pots or other non-organic materials
- giant hogweed and knotweed cuttings. For more information about proper disposal of giant hogweed, knotweed and other invasive plants species, please visit Invasive Plants
- six yard trimmings cans, bins or bundles, including Green Can(s), per pickup
- maximum weight per can, bag or bundle is 20 kilograms
- maximum bundle size is one metre long and 30 centimetres in diameter, maximum branch thickness is 7.5 centimetres
- Green Can: Place food scraps and food-soiled paper in a 46-litre container (e.g. Orbis NPL 280A) clearly labelled as a Green Can.
Yard Trimmings: Place grass clippings, leaves, small trimmings, plants and flowers in a lidded 77-litre can with a Yard Trimmings decal. Kraft Paper bags with folded tops are also accepted.
- Bundle twigs and branches with bio-degradable string or twine. No wire, nylon or plastic strapping allowed. Place bundles beside, not inside, cans.
- All materials must be set out between 5 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. on the day of collection.
Irresponsibly managed waste is the cause of 80 per cent of interactions between humans and bears on the North Shore and could be prevented.
Collection rules, such as set-out times, are included in our bylaw to deter animals and reduce wildlife attractants—please follow them.
To avoid attracting animals:
- store all materials inside the house, shed or secure enclosure until the morning of collection
- wash your containers with a mild soap or vinegar and water solution to reduce odours
- freeze plate scrapings and food scraps until collection day
- wrap your food scraps in newspaper or paper bags to minimize odour and mess
Backyard composting is the most cost-effective and environmentally friendly way to recycle food scraps and yard trimmings. If you’re composting at home, thank you and please carry on! You are diverting waste from the landfill and getting a rich fertilizer for your garden.
Common backyard weeds and invasive plants should not be added to your backyard compost but can be added to your curbside Yard Trimmings collection, except for giant hogweed and knotweed which require special attention and care.
For a full list of invasive species and how to manage them, please visit:
Did you see a bear?
Please report all bear sightings to the BC Ministry of Environment Conservation Officer:
If it's an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Please report bear attractants to the Bylaw & Licensing Services:
For more information about bears contact:
Get Green Can or Yard Trimmings decals
Effective Wednesday, April 8, Municipal Hall will be closed to the public as part of the District's measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Replacement decals are available for delivery only. Learn more.
Note: Green Cans and Garbage Cans can be purchased at a local retailer. Please consult the collection guide or website for size requirements.
Got Fruit Flies?
Here’s a simple and effective way to trap fruit flies in your home.