New Outdoor Patio Program
On December 12, 2022, Council approved a new outdoor patio program to allow sidewalk seating and patios, as well as patios on private property.
Temporary Outdoor Business Area
West Vancouver’s temporary outdoor business area program has been extended until March 31, 2023. Businesses with patios in the temporary lane closure in Dundarave will be able to continue operating past that date (see below for more information).
Temporary Lane Closure in Dundarave
On December 12, 2022, Council directed staff to report back in Q1 2023 with a detailed design, cost and timeline for continuing the temporary lane closure and adding a new, semi-permanent “boardwalk platform”.
Businesses using this space for temporary patios may continue operations after March 31, 2023, until work begins on any Council-approved changes to the temporary lane closure.
Currently, the parking lane has been temporarily converted to an outdoor patio space. The right travel lane is used as the parking lane, ensuring no loss of parking, and leaving a single lane in the centre for through-traffic. The District has placed protective barriers around the temporary patio areas and adjusted signage to ensure parking restrictions and lane changes are clearly marked.
Council has endorsed a new program to enable West Vancouver businesses to accommodate more customers while operating in a safe manner in accordance with provincial guidelines.
On April 25, 2022, Council approved an extension to the District's temporary patio (outdoor business area) program through March 31, 2023. Council also approved an update to the Temporary Outdoor Business Area – Guidelines, adding a requirement for new 2022 applications to obtain strata consent, if the business is located in a majority residential strata building.
Local businesses can establish temporary outdoor business areas, which could take the form of new or expanded restaurant patios, "winterized" patios for colder months, or outdoor retail space for other businesses. These temporary business areas could be located on a public sidewalk, in curbside parking spaces (where appropriate), or on private property. Under the District’s streamlined application process:
- Approval authority has been delegated to staff
- Enforcement of on-site parking requirements is temporarily suspended
- Requirements for development permits or development permit-exempt reviews is also temporarily suspended
- No municipal fees will be charged
Temporary Lane Closure in Dundarave
To provide further support to businesses as they meet physical distancing requirements, Council approved a reconfiguration of the 2400 block of Marine Drive (north side) as part of the Temporary Outdoor Patio Program.
The parking lane will be temporarily converted to an outdoor patio space and the right travel lane will become the parking lane, ensuring no loss of parking, and leaving a single lane in the centre for through-traffic. The District will place protective barriers around the new patio area and adjust signage to ensure parking restrictions and lane changes are clearly marked.
Guidelines for Temporary Outdoor Business Areas are available and include general requirements, guidelines for all installations, patio enclosures to allow for expanded weather protection and specific guidelines for installations on public property.
- Applications are to be submitted online
- For all Temporary Outdoor Business Areas, the following information and documentation should be provided:
- Details about the proposal (location, number of tables and chairs, other equipment, etc.)
- Applicants will be required to review the Guidelines for Temporary Outdoor Business Areas and sign a Declaration that their proposal is in compliance with the Guidelines
- In addition to the above, Temporary Outdoor Business Areas on public property will require a Street Occupancy Permit and proof of required Liability Insurance and Indemnification. Note: Fees are waived for patios and an insurance certificate naming the District of West Vancouver as additional insured for the amount of $5 million is required.
Please email completed application forms to: