The Recreation Financial Assistance Program minimizes financial barriers and encourages equal participation and access to all community centre recreation and leisure services.
Who is the program for?
Families and individuals who meet the following criteria:
- West Vancouver residents: proof of residency is required for all family members, and
- Low income, without significant savings or assets
For detailed requirements please refer to the Qualifying for Financial Assistance Program information handout.
What are the benefits of the Recreation Financial Assistance Program?
- 100% subsidy towards Enhance West Van memberships
- 50% subsidy on FitPasses
- 50% subsidy on activities (up to a maximum of $400 for adults and $500 for children and youth per subsidy year)
Note: The following are not eligible for a subsidy through the RFAP: birthday parties, personal training, private- or semi-private lessons or sessions, fitness and nutritional assessments, consultations and screenings, textbooks, belt testing, exam fees, events, facility rentals, tables at craft fairs, and admission fees on excursions. Other exclusions may apply.
Recreation Financial Assistance Program Update
Fill out fillable PDF versions of the forms or pick them up at the West Vancouver Community Centre front desk.
What are the steps to apply for the Recreation Financial Assistance Program?
- Ensure you qualify for recreation assistance: Qualifying for Financial Assistance Program - Information Handout. Note the program is only available to West Vancouver residents.
- Create an account at activewestvanrec if you do not have a current recreation account. Create the account online or with the assistance of staff from the West Vancouver Community Centre.
- Complete and sign the Recreation Financial Assistance Program Application form. Applications cannot be processed without a signed and dated application form.
- Gather copies of supporting documents listed in the Qualifying for Financial Assistance Program - Information Handout. Include your most recent tax information. Please include any EI or CERB documents if you received these benefits.
- Drop off your signed and completed application form and copies of your supporting documentation to the West Vancouver Community Centre front desk. Your signed, completed original application form and copies of supporting documents should be in a sealed envelope to the attention of: Access Services - Recreation Financial Assistance Program. Please print your name, phone number and email (if you have an email address) on the outside of the envelope as well as inside the package. Important: with your application, please state whether you require the return of your supporting documents as you will be responsible for picking them up once the application process is completed.
- Staff will register you for a Recreation Financial Assistance Program Interview when you drop off your envelope. Registration is not available online. There is no specific date or time attached to this interview. The registration confirms that you have dropped off your signed application and supporting documents.
- Review of your application and supporting documents will take 2-6 weeks depending on volume of applications received. Your documents will be held in a secure area. Once your submitted material is reviewed you will be contacted by Access Services via phone or email. You may be asked to provide additional documents if anything is missing. No in-person meeting will occur. Access Services may schedule a virtual meeting with you to take place via the telephone or MS Teams.
- Your application will be assessed and you will be contacted with the result of your application via phone or email.
- When you receive the results of your application, please confirm with Access Services whether you require the return of your supporting documents as you will be responsible for retrieving them.
- If you possess only electronic versions of your supporting documents: please follow the above process by dropping off your completed, signed application and add a note inside the envelope to state you have electronic versions of documents only. The front desk will register the drop off of your envelope and you will be contacted by Access Services with instructions as to how to upload your documents to a secure server. Please do not email any supporting documents.
Additional Subsidies and Free Activities
Discounted student, family and seniors rates are available for designated drop-ins and memberships. View Passes and Admissions for more information about other low-cost programs.
Free activities include an outdoor basketball court and table tennis at the West Vancouver Community Centre, tennis courts throughout West Vancouver, youth drop-in programs at the Youth Hub at Park Royal South, West Vancouver Community Centre and Gleneagles Community Centre.
Other Funding Sources
Contact these local organizations for information about additional funding available for children (5 years+) and youth:
Athletics for Kids
Enquire at West Vancouver Community Centre reception or contact: