IMPORTANT COVID-19 UPDATE
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect our waste collection staff:
- ensure that all personal hygiene products, used tissues, cleaning cloths, face masks, gloves, and similar items are disposed of in garbage bags.
- securely tie garbage bags. Un-bagged or loose items will not be collected.
- sort materials correctly. Crews are taking extra precautions and will not be sorting through garbage or recycling at the curb.
Important Recycling Changes
As of July 1, 2020, Recycle BC is responsible for recycling collection in West Vancouver.
- Weekly recycling collection will continue.
- Recycling set out guidelines will remain the same.
- This will not impact garbage or organics collection.
Garbage is collected every other week.
On the morning of collection, set your garbage out between 5 and 7:30 a.m. and be sure not to overload your garbage can—the lid should close completely. And before you put an item in the garbage, check to see if it can be recycled or put in your Green Can.
Garbage, Green Can or recycling not collected?
Place garbage at the curbside in cans with lids. Garbage cans are not provided by the municipality, but can be purchased from a local retailer.
We will pick up 154 L per home, per collection day. That is:
- two 77 L cans or bags,
- two 121 L cans with one 77 L bag in each, OR
- one 121 L can with no more than two 77 L bags
Maximum weight is 20 kg per container or bag.
The following items are not accepted or collected at the curb as garbage:
- yard trimmings
- food scraps
- oversized items
- construction materials
- dirt, rocks or sod
- small appliances
- used oil and antifreeze
The North Shore is a natural bear habitat. Eighty per cent of interactions between humans and bears on the North Shore are caused by irresponsibly managed waste.
Collection rules, such as set-out times, are included in our bylaw to deter animals and reduce wildlife attractants—please follow them.
To avoid attracting animals:
- store all materials inside the house, shed or secure enclosure until the morning of collection
- wash your containers with a mild soap or vinegar and water solution to reduce odours
An extra garbage tag is required to remove more than 154 L on collection day. Tags are $6 for each extra 77 L bag or can, and never expires.
Effective Wednesday, April 8, Municipal Hall will be closed to the public as part of the District's measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Replacement garbage tags are available for delivery only. Learn more.
To order extra garbage tags for delivery, please email us at [email protected] and provide your address and number of tags you wish to purchase (minimum of 4, maximum of 12).
To use, attach the tag to your extra garbage bag or can and set it out with other garbage on your regular collection day.
Large loads of garbage can also be dropped off at North Shore Recycling and Waste Centre (formerly North Shore Transfer Station) located at 30 Riverside Drive. Applicable disposal fees apply.
Collected every week
Collected every other week
Set out times
- collection begins at 7:30 a.m.
- set materials out after 5 a.m. on collection day, not the night before