Youth Appreciation Awards
Youth Appreciation Awards are presented each year during Youth Week (May 1–7) to celebrate the achievements and dedication of outstanding youth and youth groups in West Vancouver.
The awards acknowledge those youth and youth groups who have made a significant contribution to their local or global community and who show initiative, enthusiasm, commitment and a positive attitude.
If you know an exceptional youth or youth group–nominate them for an award! There are three award categories to choose from.
Nomination deadline is Thursday, April 6, 2017, at 12 p.m.
YOUTH RECOGNITION AWARD
The Youth Recognition Award recognizes individual youth who have made noteworthy achievements or who have achieved considerable progress in a particular endeavour, thus exhibiting the ability and commitment for personal change and growth.
YOUTH COMMUNITY ENHANCEMENT AWARD
The Youth Community Enhancement Award recognizes individual youth who have made a voluntary contribution to their community that resulted in a positive change or made a lasting impact, such as developing a project, serving on a committee, or participating in other volunteer work with an organization and/or group. All nominees must demonstrate a minimum contribution of 75 hours of school or community service work between September 1, 2016, and April 6, 2017.
OUTSTANDING YOUTH TEAM AWARD
The Outstanding Youth Team Award recognizes a group of youth who have completed a minimum of 50 hours per youth of service, resulting in enhanced programs and/or services for their school or their local or global community between September 1, 2016, and April 6, 2017. If any individual youth in a group has not completed 50 hours of service, the individual does not qualify for the award. It is the Nominator’s responsibility to confirm that each individual youth in a group has completed 50 hours of service.
Note: If you are nominating a group for the Outstanding Youth Team Award, you will be asked to provide the name and contact information of the main contact person for this group. If the group is selected for an award, we will only contact the main contact person with the award ceremony details. This main contact person is the one who will be responsible for providing the award ceremony details to the selected group of youth.
- A completed Nomination Form must be received by April 6, 2017. There will be no extension on the nomination deadline.
- The nominator must not be related to an individual nominee, but may be related to one or more members of a group nominee.
- The nominee does not have to live in the District of West Vancouver as long as the activities which are being acknowledged occurred in the District of West Vancouver.
- If the nominee is a District of West Vancouver resident, the activities which are being acknowledged can occur in another community.
- The eligible age for nominees is 13-18 years.
- Once all the nomination forms are received by the deadline, they will be reviewed by District of West Vancouver staff.
- The selected nominees will be contacted by phone and/or email, detailing their expected attendance at the Youth Appreciation Awards ceremony on May 3, 2017 from 7–8:30 p.m.
- The nominators will also be contacted by phone and/or email, detailing their requested attendance at the Youth Appreciation Awards ceremony.
- More than one award in each category may be awarded to the same youth in any one year.
- Certificates shall be presented to the recipients at the Youth Appreciation Awards ceremony.
- Information about the awards presented, including the names and photos of the award recipients, may be published on the District of West Vancouver’s website from the current and past year. Award recipients will be provided with a Personal Information Disclosure Consent form for their consideration.