Thursday, April 16, 2020
The revised budget represents an extraordinary departure from all previous budgets and creating it involved a complete, line-by-line review of every District expenditure, in all areas in which the District operates and provides services. In some cases, particularly for services such as the Community Centre, Seniors Centre, and Library, District services have had to be severely curtailed due to public health prohibitions on public assembly. In other cases, such as for Police and Fire, District Services require an enhanced response. For the whole organization, other means of working, such as work from home, have had to be quickly and efficiently adopted in order to protect staff and the public.
Priority is given to the following:
- Essential Services are fully supported
- Funding for COVID-19 response-related services and social supports is provided
- Capital construction projects that would be very expensive to stop are continued
- Revenue-generating activities that are safe to carry on are continued
- Expenditures that can be postponed are eliminated from the 2020 budget
Council will consider the budget at its April 20 meeting. A public forum is open for community input. We recognize that this a short period of time for public review, and thank the community for understanding as we work to address the challenges presented by the global pandemic.
To review the budget and provide comment, please visit westvancouverITE.ca/budget.