Mayor's Update: The District's Coronavirus Response
Mar 17, 2020
On Friday, March 13, the District implemented our first closures as a response to the Coronavirus, and this evening, March 16, we will close all District-run public facilities except Municipal Hall, Police & Fire, the Operations Centre, and the cemetery.
These measures are necessary to reduce the spread of Coronavirus in our community. Today, the Federal Government implemented travel restrictions and the Provincial Government further restricted gatherings by reducing the maximum number to 50 people, down from 250 people.
The best thing each of us can do right now is stay home to reduce the spread. Closures and cancellations include:
- All community centre facilities, including Gleneagles, Ice Arena, Youth Hub, Seniors’ Activity Centre, and West Vancouver Community Centre. The Seniors’ Activity Centre will continue to offer take-out food service from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., seven days a week.
- West Vancouver Memorial Library is closing but will look for ways to implement a pick-up and drop-off service.
- The golf courses and sport fields will close this evening until further notice.
- The Ferry Building Gallery, West Vancouver Art Museum, and Silk Purse will also close this evening.
- All community engagement on District initiatives and development applications is suspended, including all meetings of committees, boards and working groups.
- I am also cancelling my Coffee with the Mayor events, the Meet the Mayor event, and the Mayor’s Community Clean-up, for the time being.
Please see a complete list of closures below.
Please take precautions to protect the health of you and your family. Last week I asked everyone to stay home if they were sick. This week, the advice is to stay home if you can. Limit your social engagements, stay out of public, focus on your community, and reach out to friends and neighbours who may need help. These are challenging and unprecedented times. I believe that the more aggressive we are in our response, the shorter the duration of these impacts. We all have a role to play to protect and support our community.
Please visit westvancouver.ca/covid for information about Coronavirus and links to the health agencies’ websites.
Stay safe and take care of one another.
Mayor Mary-Ann Booth
- West Vancouver Community Centre
- Gleneagles Community Centre
- West Vancouver Memorial Library
- Seniors’ Activity Centre (except take-out food service available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily)
- Aquatic Centre
- Ice Arena
- Gleneagles Golf Course
- Clubhouse at Gleneagles Golf Course
- Ambleside Par 3 Golf Course
- Ferry Building Gallery
- West Vancouver Art Museum
- Music Box
- Silk Purse Studio & Gallery
- West Vancouver Youth Hub at Park Royal
FACILITIES THAT WILL REMAIN OPEN
- West Vancouver Municipal Hall
- West Vancouver Police Department
- All Fire Halls (Fire Hall #1, 2, 3 and 4)
- Operations Centre at Cypress Bowl Road
- Capilano View Cemetery