Update August 2020
The western portion of the Spirit Trail, between Cranley Drive and Horseshoe Bay, began in 2014.
The final section (Zone 4) in Horseshoe Bay is under design review.
- Zones 1 & 2 between Cranley Drive and Gleneagles Elementary School (completed between 2014 and 2015)
- Zone 3 along Exit 0 and Raleigh Street was (completed October 2017)
- additional work to improve the grade at the Cranley slope entrance (complete)
Zone 1 Implementation
Zone 1 Spirit Trail improvements began in fall 2014 and included:
- Accessibility upgrades at Eagleridge Drive and Falcon Road trailheads
- Upgrades to crossings and connectivity between the Eagleridge Drive trailhead and Orchill Road
- Trail widening and grooming of Zone 2 section behind Gleneagles Community Centre
- Selective brush trimming and trail grading along the length of the trail
Zone 2 Implementation
In 2015, the District completed a segment of Spirit Trail along Marine Drive, from the Lions Club parking lot past Gleneagles Elementary Secondary School. This work included:
- Installation of an asphalt multi-use pathway, concrete curbs and upgraded drainage
- Improved bus stop and crosswalk for pedestrians at Lions Club parking lot
- Additional lighting at crossing location
- Improved pick-up and drop-off area for Gleneagles Elementary School
Zone 3 Implementation
Public consultation on Zone 3 began in fall 2015, with construction taking place in the spring and summer of 2017.