Sutherland House: 1768 Inglewood Avenue
On July 24, 2017, Council approved the Heritage Revitalization Agreement and Heritage Designation for the Sutherland House that enabled subdivision of the property as incentive to:
- retain the Sutherland house as a municipally-designated heritage building on the northern lot (Lot 1); and
- construct a new single-family dwelling on the southern lot (Lot 2).
The Sutherland House was constructed in 1927 and was the first house to be constructed on the block. It was first occupied by James and Winifred Sutherland who lived at the property until 1932.
The house is valued for its design evolution, as it progressed from a small cottage into a larger home.
The original Craftsman-style architecture gradually gave way to a more rustic aesthetic, as half-timbering, log cabin siding and stone cladding was applied when the house was expanded. These natural building materials echo the surrounding verdant environment of the Lawson Creek watershed.