COVID-19 Updates


To learn more about closures and our response to COVID-19, and for updates on District operations, visit


Single-Family Lots

If you are building a structure on your property, including retaining walls, stairs, pools and decks, you will need a permit (generally permits are not required for re-roofing, exterior cladding, window replacement, fences or landscaping). 

Please also check the zoning for your particular property. Permit requirements vary depending on your lot size and dimensions, presence of creeks, if you are on a slope or if covenant is attached to your property.


The Zoning Bylaw is the guide for what you can build on your lot. More Information

Secondary Suites

Secondary suites are legal in West Vancouver if they meet the following requirements: More Information

Rental Coach Houses

Guidelines for detached secondary suites, or rental coach houses. More Information

Environmental Development Permit

If you are doing any work within 15 metres of the top of any watercourse bank, you need an environmental development permit. More Information

Lower Caulfeild Heritage Alteration Permits

Lower Caulfeild is a designated Heritage Conservation Area. If you own property within these boundaries, you need an alteration permit for any work. More Information

Boulevards & Encroachments

Boulevard care is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. A well-maintained boulevard adds character. However, changes you make to your boulevard cannot negatively impact municipal services, reduce public safety or restrict public access. More Information