One of the indicators of climate change is extreme weather. Extreme precipitation in winter months provides an abundance of water while putting a strain on our storm water system.
Everything changes in summer months when periods of drought put pressure on our limited supply of treated drinking water. and conservation becomes that much more important.
Conserving Drinking Water
- The cost and importance of water treatment/water quality/water delivery systems apply year round
- the less you use, the less you pay
- Water conservation - things you can do to conserve water and save money
- Summer: Water shortage response plan and sprinkling regulations
- All the time: Rebates on energy efficient appliances, water barrels, etc
Managing Storm Water
- Diversion systems and open drainage ditches
- Rain barrels useful for managing stormwater on private property
- It all comes out in the ocean (this is not managing and is not a harmful impact).
- Use permeable rather than impermeable materials when landscaping your property to reduce storm runoff.