Join a virtual committee meeting
The Province of British Columbia has required local governments to prohibit the public from attending local government meetings in person. An electronic participation option is therefore being provided via Webex, a virtual meeting platform.
You can participate by joining the meeting from your laptop, desktop, smartphone, or tablet. A microphone is required to speak. Video is optional.
Before the meeting
- Visit westvancouver.webex.com to download and install the Cisco Webex Meetings app.
- Join a test meeting to check that your device is ready.
Joining the meeting
- Select the meeting that you wish to join from the Events Calendar. The calendar meeting entry will contain a WebEx link unique to that meeting.
- At the scheduled meeting start time, click the WebEx link to join the meeting.
- Enter your first name, last name, email address, and event password (westvan). The password may already be filled in.
- Click the “Join Now” button. Note: Public speakers must not "Join by Browser". Only click the button to "Join by Browser" if you do not plan on speaking as your video and microphone will not transmit.
- Ensure that your audio and video devices are connected by clicking “test speaker and microphone”.
- Click “Join Event” to join the meeting. Your microphone and video will be turned off automatically upon entry.
During the meeting
- Members of the public have up to three minutes to speak during the public questions portion of the meeting.
- Click the “raise hand” button to indicate that you wish to speak. You can locate the button by opening the “Participants” tab and clicking the hand icon in the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
- When it is your turn to speak, your microphone will be unmuted and you will be given the option to turn on your video.
- When you are done speaking, the host will mute your microphone and turn off your video.